Palmer: Something to prove

Go down

Post by Mr Moon on Thu 30 Jul 2009, 4:40 pm

GEORGETOWN, Ky. – The Bengals have reported to camp, and in the words of Carson Palmer, have something to prove.

As the quarterback checked in for training camp on Thursday, he summarized his team's mindset.

"There's a whole lot of guys with a lot to prove. We're a team with a lot to prove. Definitely with me being injured and having a down year," Palmer said.

"We've got a good team, a lot of talent. As far as make or break, I don't think of it that way. This is our opportunity."

Receiver Chad Ochocinco arrived and continued his optimistic outlook for 2009 - a change from last year when he was lobbying for a trade.

"It's not the physical shape for me that's important, it's the mental shape," he said. "(This year is) like coming in as a rookie. It's going to be a great year or a wonderful year."

One change from last year: The presence of HBO's "Hard Knocks" film crew, which will be filming this year's camp.

Ochocinco said he doesn't expect the show to be a distraction.

"It's just not different than any other time. It's like the crowd coming to watch practice, same thing. If the camera's not following you, you're not doing something right," he said.

Another difference: This year's team comes to camp healthy. For the first time in Marvin Lewis’ seven year tenure, no one will be on the PUP (physically unable to perform) list when the first practice starts Friday at 3 p.m.

One big reason for the improvement is changes that were made to the team’s offseason program. At the end of last season, Lewis and strength and conditioning coach Chip Morton examined the factors behind the injuries and made changes to the program.

“There’s always some trepidation,” Morton said. “There were enough changes that there were some uncomfortable people. But in this case it worked according to plan.”

In altering the program, Morton and Lewis added one of the player’s biggest requests – making things more competitive.

Many players expressed an interest in creating more ‘I win, you lose’ situations,” Lewis said. “A lot of times now we have those training spas, but our guys were interested in getting into the weight room.”

Besides man against man and position group against position group competitions, Morton altered the structure of the program, building a gradual transition from straight conditioning, to position-specific work, to on-field work during May’s organized team activity periods.

“In a sense we simplified our workouts,” Morton said. “It was easier for the players to digest and work harder at. It wasn’t shorter but more streamlined.”

Drills also features more rest breaks so players could recover. That strategy continued during organized team activities in the spring. Lewis held 11 sessions - teams are allowed up to 14 - and spaced them out.

One week there would be three workouts, while there would be two the next.

Training camp will mark a continuation of that pattern. Instead of opening with two practices on the first day, Lewis will have an afternoon practice before having two sessions the next day.

“I know Marvin is more sensitive to the workload. We have a finite window now as far as getting them ready, but I sense it’s a little more in line now with how the offseason has gone and dosing it around,” Morton said.

“We’re at a good point right and now the next phase kicks in. The football (practices and games) becomes the giant so it’s our job as a staff to manage the recovery with that.”

Three players who did not practice during the minicamp – safety Marvin White, defensive end Robert Geathers and cornerback Morgan Trent – are expected to be on the field Thursday.

Only one player is not expected to report – offensive tackle and first-round pick Andre Smith. Only six of the first-round picks have signed, but there might be some movement coming soon as St. Louis’ Jason Smith and Seattle’s Aaron Curry are reportedly close to deals.

Both players went in the top five, which would further set the salary structure among the top 10 picks. Andre Smith was picked sixth.

Three of the last eight first-round picks have signed on the first day, but last year Keith Rivers, who was the ninth overall pick, missed 10 days.

Lewis is ready to get going.

"It's exciting to get started and get working on football. We've been through the mental part and training and now start formulating football and making tough decisions. It's the time of the year that you look foward to," he said.

Link to Bengals Story

Admin

http://borninthe50s.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down